Most Frequently Asked Plumbing Questions: Chapter Three
Good things come in three: the Hanson Brothers, Big Momma’s House and the Macbeth witches…
Hmmm…maybe we will do four chapters instead. Anyways, enough of this intro. Let’s get to the plumbing stuff.
How Can I Save Energy From My Washing Machine?
I mean, you could unplug your washing machine, travel back to the days of yore, and hand wash each item of clothing individually. Then you’d have no energy used up by that beautiful appliance. With that same notion though, you might as well sell your house, move to the Amazon and live with the monkeys. But, if you’re not living the sweet life, singing Hakuna Matata with Rafiki in the treetops, read on as these tips are for you.
1. Wash a full load every time. Just because you stepped in a present from your dog Spot doesn’t mean you should throw a single sock in and wash it on its own. Its best to fill up that machine to the brim so you get the most bang for your water buck. If you desperately need to do a partial load, then be sure to adjust the water level so your clothes don’t drown, and your finances stay afloat.
2. Use cold water. Whether it’s pulling hot water from your home’s water heater, or churning up its steamy H2O, your washing machine uses a ton of energy to heat things up. Plus, check out this nifty little bonus: washing in cold water prevents shrinkage, preserves colour and stops stains from setting in.
3. Recover Greywater. Set up a laundry-to-landscape system for irrigating plants and other outdoor vegetation. Read more about it here: https://greywateraction.org/greywater-reuse/
4. Wash your clothes less. I’m not saying be a dirtbag. But hey, we live in an over-protective, over-cleansed culture. If you wore something once, it doesn’t mean it’s dirty–sniff it up and see if you can extend it’s life before washing it.
5. Lower your water temperature. Drop your water temperature down 20 degrees to 120. All the bacteria is still getting destroyed, and you will save energy and money over time.
Well, there you go: five simple steps to save energy with your washing machine. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us at 289-244-9843. At Go Green Plumbing, we are always happy to help.